MADE IN GREENSBORO: IRVING ALLEN, 29, COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

MADE IN GREENSBORO: IRVING ALLEN, 29, COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

Irving Allen is the part of a legacy.

Irving’s uncle, David Richmond, was one of “the A&T Four,” a group of students who launched the lunch counter sit-in protests in Greensboro in the 1960s. Irving’s father, Steve Allen, was a civil rights attorney and the first black superior court judge in Guilford County. His parents and other black families banded together to grow a neighborhood in Pleasant Garden.

But the 29-year-old is blazing his own path, as a new generation leader working to improve his community.

Allen is the Triad regional coordinator of Ignite NC, an organization dedicated to building the leadership and power of young people to fight for social change.

“Young people are the only re007_pv_i_allen_BC8U5007bwason anything has changed in this country, ever,” Allen says.

He also leads the Gate City Black Lives Matter group, which he and others use to organize social movements in Greensboro. He organizes meetings, marches, concerts. He participates in conversations about race with police and advocates for a better public education system in Guilford County.

“My role is to use my relationships and the way people view me — whether it’s through my family or the history of the work I’ve done or the people I’ve worked with — to get resources to people who don’t have them.”

This notion of getting resources to people who don’t have them means that Irving is working to provide better access to money, and other tools like vans to organize and better their community by getting rid of the gatekeepers to those resources. If someone has an idea to better their community, they should be able to execute it, Irving says.

So he works to help break down the barriers. “I really don’t see myself representing folks, I see myself with the folks. We rarely do things alone.”

ABOUT MADE IN GREENSBORO

We are Greensboro, North Carolina. We are the city of makers.

We design, build, create. We roll up our sleeves. We get our hands dirty. We get it done. We make it happen.

Made in Greensboro celebrates those makers — the entrepreneurs, the artists, the community builders, the next generation of leaders.

Check out other Made In Greensboro profiles here.

Lead Your City Summit

Lead Your City Summit

Join the synerG Young Professionals for Lead Your City – a summit that will bring together Community Leaders & Activists to help young professionals GROW their leadership skills, BUILD on their ideas, SERVE the community and CONNECT their network.

The 2015 Lead Your City Summit will be held on Wednesday, November 18 from 12-6pm at the Triad Stage Cabaret. Registration for this event is $30. Click here to register.

Registration includes:

• Keynote speaker Malina Simone Jeffers with Mosaic City
  • What do you want in Greensboro? Brainstorming session
  • Career development, community engagement and economic growth sessions
  • Networking Social with local nonprofits
  • Lunch & professional headshot

*Interested in information on how your employer can cover your costs for this event? Contact Hillary Meredith at hmeredith@actiongreensboro.org

Click the link below to download the 2015 Agenda.

Agenda to Publish – Draft

Pop Up Cornhole @ City Market

Pop Up Cornhole @ City Market

05th Oct 2015 (Y)our Greensboro, Community

Downtown Greensboro and synerG are teaming up to host a Cornhole tournament at The City Market!

Reserve your spot here! This RSVP tickets holds your spot until 6 p.m. for Beginners & 7:30 p.m. for Pros. You must check-in and pay your $10 entry fee by that time to secure your spot.

6:30 p.m. – Beginner Games
8:00 p.m. – Pro Level Games
Free play when tournament not in session.

Corn Hole will be played in the grassy area. Food & beer will be on site. Prizes to winning teams!

Let ‘Em Know at Show Of Hands

Let ‘Em Know at Show Of Hands

Music lovers, foodies, civic reformers — Show of Hands invites you its 2015 concert, presented in collaboration with the Mosaic Festival and Dance From Above on Thursday, Sept. 24 at the Downtown Greenway Morehead Park Underpass!

At the show, you can register to vote in the November election, meet local candidates, and get info on the November ballot, all while feasting on amazing international treats from a variety of vendors, enjoying delicious craft beers, and dancing to a lineup of switched-on sonic innovators from home and abroad.

The lineup:
!!! (Chk Chk Chk) DJ Set (Warp/NYC): chkchkchk.net
Little People (UK): littlepeoplemusic.com
Sinkane DJ Set (DFA/NYC): sinkane.com
Quilla (Peru/GSO): quillamusic.com
Ismo One (Niger/Durham): soundcloud.com/ismo-one

Live visual art projected onto the underpass provided by thefacesblur. An afterparty featuring an encore performance by UK producer Little People will take place at the Crown at the Carolina Theatre.

Show of Hands is produced by Face to Face Greensboro and synerG in partnership with CWS Greensboro and Dance From Above.

About the performers:
!!! (Chk Chk Chk) is a dance-rock band from California on the verge of releasing its sixth full length LP on Warp Records. Nic Offer, the band’s famously electric frontman and lead singer, will channel his inexhaustible charisma into a DJ set that will leave no hips unmoved.

Little People is Laurent Clerc, an Anglo-Swiss producer now based in the United Kingdom. His sound is equally informed by hip-hop and downtempo, as he effortlessly combines warm synths, intricate melodies and lush string arrangements.

Sinkane is Ahmed Gallab a Sudanese-American musician known for blending elements of jazz, funk, krautrock, Afro-pop and countless other influences to create something refreshing and unexpected. After his full band’s live show touched on the sounds of Fela Kuti and Jerry Garcia alike at Dance From Above’s May show, he will make his way back to Greensboro to pull from his full quiver of influences for one of his much-praised DJ sets.

Quilla (a name inspired by the Quechua word for “moon”) is a songwriter, vocalist and keyboardist from Montreal, Canada who currently resides in Greensboro. Her debut song “Walls” is in collaboration with Sultan + Shepard and appeared on Tiesto’s acclaimed dance music compilation Club Life Miami, Vol. 2, released on Tiesto’s Musical Freedom label in the spring of 2012.

Join Us At The Young Professionals Party Deck at the Wyndham

Join Us At The Young Professionals Party Deck at the Wyndham

23rd Jul 2015 Community, Networking

Thursday, August 20 – Sunday, August 23 – join the synerG young professionals and network with Young Professionals from across the Piedmont Triad on this exclusive, open-air platform on the 10th Green at Sedgefield Country Club. Features complimentary beer & wine and light food. $25 for one day and $80 for the week.

Tickets will need to be picked up at Will Call. You will receive a detailed email on where to pick them up closer to the date.

This ticket does not include parking.

Special Thanks to our sponsors – Weaver Foundation & Action Greensboro.

Click here to purchase tickets.

Good News About Greensboro:  Nick Wyatt serves up his thoughts

Good News About Greensboro: Nick Wyatt serves up his thoughts

It’s the people and connections that make Greensboro special.

Like a lot of young men with bit of wanderlust, I thought I’d head west.  I love the Pacific Northwest and thought that would be my ultimate home. But along the way, I met some great people, developed wonderful relationships and enjoyed the proximity to my family in Charlotte.

I love the balance of the small town feel with bigger city opportunities. The city has arts, culture and diversity balanced with an affordable cost of living and no traffic. It’s big enough to always meet someone new, yet it’s small enough for us to really get to know our customers. We can have an impact in our city without getting lost in the shuffle as some restaurants might in bigger cities.

After 10 plus years of working in the restaurant business with 1618’s Seafood Grille, and Wine Lounge, I’m proud to be celebrating the opening of 1618 Concept’s new downtown location, 1618 Downtown, on June 16, 17 and 18th! Check out the details here!

We decided to invest in downtown Greensboro because it has developed an energy that’s contagious to anyone walking its blocks.  Downtown has become a destination within the city and attracted a diverse crowd.

I feel like the 300 block of Elm Street often goes unnoticed. But if you look closely, you’ll see some of downtown’s anchor businesses – Natty’s, The View, Gray’s, The Green Bean, McCoul’s and Cheesecakes by Alex.  We’re excited to be part of this group of thriving local companies.

Downtowns are often the best area to show out-of-town family and friends what your city is like. It’s a perfect capsule experience. So, we’re excited to be a part of the central representation of Greensboro. And the people watching is also quite awesome.

I hope that the City of Greensboro can create a parklet system. It would be an excellent way to promote pedestrian activity and encourage more folks being outdoors.

Stop by and see us soon! 

Eugenia Brown’s Chattanooga Intercity experience

Eugenia Brown’s Chattanooga Intercity experience

15th May 2015 Community, Leadership

The Intercity trip to Chattanooga proved to be a great success. It was so humbling for me as young professional to be in the presence of many game changers and leaders in the Greensboro community. Going into the trip I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I knew what the itinerary and schedule was, but I wasn’t really sure how we could take the information we received to truly transform Greensboro. However, after the first session I immediately became fired up and knew what knowledge we took from this community had the possibility to shape and push Greensboro in the right direction.

There were many components of the trip I enjoyed like, eating lunch on the beautiful Walnut Street Bridge, riding around downtown on the BrewChoo, and of course visiting the beautiful Rock City at Lookout Mountain. However, what stood out even more than all the amazing sites, was the positive energy and collective vision that each individual we came across had for the city. In one of the sessions we spoke to different individuals on a panel about Entrepreneurship in Chattanooga. I was amazed at the number of startup companies in the area and how their community was attracting millennial because of this opportunity. One thing was very evident in Chattanooga, they were listening to what young professionals had to say and opportunity was being created to attract them to the community.

I was extremely impressed with one of the organizations called the Lamp Post Group. This organization served as an investor to many of the startups as well as provided an opportunity and space for growing companies to network and interact with one another. Tiffanie Robinson, Director of Operations for Lamp Post Group spoke passionately about how Lamp Post acted as an incubator for ideas for the millennial population and as a result they had new projects underway like a housing development downtown for individuals looking to begin a startup.

Another unique opportunity we were able to participate in was the bike share program. As a outdoor enthusiast I found this experience very rewarding. I believe that having programs like bike share has the ability to encourage healthy living in our community as well as promote tourism. The ease of the getting a bike made exploring the city that much more interesting. Throughout each session I attended you could hear the passion in the voices of those who spoke with us and see why Chattanooga was chosen as the city to visit.

As we began to evaluate all that we learned from this intercity visit, I am excited about the next steps. It would be easy to come back to Greensboro and let the excitement and fire fizz out. However, it was very evident from those who went on the trip that transforming Greensboro and leveraging our resources and talents to make Greensboro a better place is definitely a goal we aspire to reach. I am excited as a young professional to have had this opportunity and one of my personal goals is to help reenergize the millennial here to get involved and play more of an active role.